Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Say WHAT???

Okay--so I couldn't get away from the inauguration today, it was all over the television, and it was like you HAD to listen in order to be a good American. So I suffered through it. Did you like the darts Obama was throwing Chief Justice Roberts with his eyes when he screwed up the oath? That was too funny. I thought Obama's speech was okay--but nothing new. Ronald Reagan gave basically the same speech at his inauguration, and no one considered it a mind blowing speech, in fact every time he spoke the media would tear him apart, but whatever... Then there was that poem--what the heck was that??? I could've written a better poem than that! And I could've thought of a few rhymes to put in there to at least make it interesting. I guess I need to be a "deeper thinker" to get these types of poems. This is the last few lines:

What if the mightiest word is love, love beyond marital, filial, national. Love that casts a widening pool of light. Love with no need to preempt grievance.
In today's sharp sparkle, this winter air, anything can be made, any sentence begun.
On the brink, on the brim, on the cusp -- praise song for walking forward in that light.


Huh??? Then there was the closing "prayer", which sounded more to me like the poem--and it sounded like it was Reverend Wright giving it with the tone of the whole thing. Terrible America--doesn't take care of the poor and the weak. Are you kidding--you name a country where the poor and the weak are taken care of better than this country? People get food, medical care, and a check from the government every month. Do you think they get that in Africa? No way. They actually starve to death. I'm not saying we don't have problems in this society--but we are a generous people--always have been, and not only do we share with the poor in our own country, but we give money and aid to countries around the world to care for their people. I get so sick of the bashing of this country. Then there was the end of the prayer:

“We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to give back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man, and when white will embrace what is right,” Lowery said.

Say WHAT? Am I not supposed to be a little offended by that statement? Doesn't it mean anything that Barack Obama became the first black president today? Didn't white people help him get to that position? Is there any country in the world that has as much multiculturalism--whether it be race, religion, you name it--we live together in peace in this country. Shouldn't we celebrate that? And what the heck is wrong with the "yellow" people? I know several Asian people--they are some of the most "mellow" people around! What did that mean? And brown can stick around? HUH? They can stick around all they want when they go through the legal process to come to this country and get in line like everyone else! And the red man can get ahead man, when he chooses to--just like the black man can. This is a country of opportunity--like no other, if the inauguration today doesn't prove that than I don't know what does! This is a man born into poverty--grew up raised by his grandparents (who were white by the way). He managed to get into ivy league schools, as did his wife--to get the best education anyone could ask for. He rose from poverty to become the leader of the free world in less than 50 years. HELLO??? Can we at least admit that some of that was because of this GREAT country that we live in?

Okay--so I feel better now. Rant is over. Hope you enjoyed that little tantrum! Now I have to go PACK! I might regret publishing this but here goes...

5 comments:

Natalie said...

I was waiting to hear your take. Well said! Have fun on your trip.

Erin said...

I will be posting my take soon...I am with ya sista!
blah blah blah...thats all I heard.

Real Mom, Real Life said...

You crack me up... love your analysis of the prayer/poem thing...

Have fun on your trip!

Sharla said...

AMEN to that! Your version says a lot more than theirs ever did!! Like Erin said...blah. blah. blah was all I heard from them. You should be the next president! =)

Yvette said...

I agree to everything you said. Did you know that there was a Negro National Anthem? I didnt till I was looking up on the internet for Mark what the reverend said in the benediction. He was stating the Negro National Anthem. Crazy but I didnt know there was one. I'm probably sounding way prejudiced now so I'll stop.
Anyway, I hope you have fun on your trip of a lifetime. That's awesome

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...